Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm not sure what is more repetitious and less fun, quitting a job or starting a new one. Certainly there are fun elements in both, but the constant answering of the same questions over and over is less than enjoyable. At least the questions on both ends are pretty easy to answer, but I wonder if it starts to show that I've obviously got a rehearsed answer for pretty much anything.

I've thought about answering every single person differently, but never in front of other people who got a different answer. It would be a nice experiment to see how long it would take for people to ask me why I didn't mention my 3 children before, or what it was really like living in a cave in Maine. Eventually I would gain a reputation around the office as a pathological liar, or better yet, a social outcast that should be avoided at all costs and mocked constantly in private/public conversation. That doesn't sound like "career development", though.

If people began to avoid me, though, I wouldn't be able to be instructed on how to do everyday tasks that clearly I have no concept of. It's great how starting a new job is seen the same way as being born unto this world. All of sudden, all knowledge of things like making copies, turning on computers and locking doors is completely lost. Obviously most people are just being helpful and that's an icebreaker of sorts since the world is so politically correct now that people are afraid to talk about things that are actually interesting. I have yet to be asked straight-forward human interest things like where I went to school, how old I am, if I'm married, etc. I guess these are loaded questions these days and clearly I'm sensitive to answering them. Instead we talk about computer screen resolution, the sturdiness of cubicle walls and whether or not you key in two zeroes at the beginning of the client number on the copy machine.

No comments: