Monday, June 30, 2008

I almost feel bad when I choose to unsubscibe from email lists. It becomes part of the daily life experience to get solicitations from MusicToday, MusicFirst, MusicDirect, DirectMusic, InSound, mYOUsic, iTunes, MusicGuy, TunesDirect, Muzak, etc. Then it's gone and a part of me misses it. These hard-working companies just want my money and then I go and tell them to stop doing their jobs. It probably hurts their feelings.

Of course, things don't always end without some lingering feelings. My latest canceled subscription was for a flowers website, and a very nice one at that. I have used their services a couple of times in the past and very likely would in the future, but I don't send flowers very often. Virtually never, actually. When I do, however, I know where to go order them. The reminder to celebrate Independence with a bouquet of USDA organic carnations is uneeded, as is a reminder to show Mom how much you really love her with a dozen roses from a small garden in Himalayas.

A little bit of guilt did creep in, though, with their automated response to my unsubscibe request. It basically read, "We have fulfilled your request. We apologize for any inconvenience you might have been caused." A small part of me wanted to cancel my request and sign up for as many flower-based email notifications as I could, just as a way of thanking them for being so polite. I didn't, however.

Inconvenience? They're taking it a bit hard I think. While it may have occasionally been less-then-exciting to see a new email pop up on my computer or phone, only to find out that Valentine's is only 174 days away and it's never too early to start planning, I never saw myself as "inconvenienced". If it had been that bad all along, I would have unsubscribed months ago. Yes, I'm rationalizing my ultimately futile efforts to make things work out between me and the flower company email list.

Life is all about streamlining these days.

Sorry, I would write more, but the Cleveland Indians just reminded me via email to vote for Grady Sizemore's inclusion in this year's All-Star Game. Duty calls.

No comments: