Friday, October 24, 2008

There has to be some tangible benefit to sitting for hours watching the "live feed" on the redesigned Facebook. It feels like watching a stock ticker, but thankfully, your well-being, livihood and retirement plan are not on the line. The live feed is addictive, though, and if you're the sort to challenge yourself to senseless games and such, it could be fun. Make it a drinking game if you must or something. Some ideas for letting the live feed actually dominate your life:

-Guess who might pop up next with some type of activity
-Compare elapsed time between individuals' activities
-See which type of activity is most/least common

Ok, that sounds very boring. Maybe it's a terrible idea. Then again, if it were spiced up a little bit, it might have potential:

-Wait and see who makes the next inane political statement for either side of the fence. This can be via status update, wall post, note, etc. Promptly respond by calling them an idiot.

-Have a little competition to see who can pile the most praise upon themselves via a status update. Next time you see this person, give them a Burger King crown, with "ME" scrawled across it.

-Perform linear regression analysis on the relationship between people who post pictures of themselves, but don't tag themselves versus those who do. This won't really accomplish anything, but you weren't accomplishing anything by obsessing over the live feed in the first place.

-Send comments to girls that are married about whether they like their new last name more or less than their maiden name. Compare to who has changed their name on Facebook or not.

-Wait until a Saturday and intentionally don't watch Alabama football. Rely on Facebook updates for all your news related to the game. See if it makes a difference on how much you actually know about what went on.

-Change your relationship status, on average, once every 12 hours. See how many people suddenly take interest in your life.

Ok, this has some promise. Please respond with your results if you decide to participate in this new form of entertainment.

4 comments:

Kevin Wilder said...

Ha, this is great.

While I don't know if I'm up for the Facebook-O-lympics at the moment, I will say that after our conversation earlier this month, I've been obsessively customizing my live feeds to read only about people who I care to know about.

I'd like to change my relationship status to say I'm with girls who don't exist, or that are in Maxim or something, with facebook profiles I create myself.

Patrick Copeland said...

Dear Robbie,

I am now a concerned citizen. Please go for a run, go to a coffee shop or meet me on the east side to hang out. Spending a Friday addicted to facebook feeds is not healthy.

Concerned Citizen, Patrick

Kevin Wilder said...

Okay, took me a minute to find this post, but I thought of another Facebook Game.

Rules are as follows:

Search for those groups that are called "I lost my cell and need your numbers." Join every one you can find, but only the public ones that have been started by a person you don't know in real life. This is key: you can't be friends with them on facebook, either. When you add your number, and a comment saying something akin to "sorry about losing your phone, I know the feeling," they'll be shocked and confused, wondering how they're supposed to know you. If you aren't friends with them in real life OR in the virtual world, what business should they have in calling you?

RC said...

Kevin, I like your idea. I always notice that "lost my phone...give me your number" kind of thing, but I never bite. I had to do something similar to that, though, when I got a new phone and lost some of my recently acquired numbers.